Genealogy | About Norfolk | Place Names | Sources  
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  Z 
Fairground -- hamlet in southeast Houghton Township on Regional Road 28. Was location of agricultural shows, hence its name. Was home of Houghton Township Hall.

Fairground Road -- (Regional Road 28) in Houghton Township. runs east and west parallel to Lake Erie through the hamlet of Fairground.

Falkirk � see Lynedoch

Fifth (The) -- local name for Highway 24 between the fourth and fifth concessions of Walsingham Township.

Fisher's Creek -- rises in Lot 16, Concession 2, Charlotteville Township. Flows
southeast to Fisher's Glen.

Fisher�s Glen -- hamlet on Long Point Bay of Lake Erie in Charlotteville Township on Lot 19, Concession A. On Front Road at East Quarter Line Road. Known as Newport in early 1800s. Crown grantee David Secord built small mill there, sold to William Culver in 1804. It passed to Rev. Titus Finch whose son Thomas operated it. Donald Fisher and partner Thomas Cross purchased the 5 acre site about 1825 and severed lots for the hamlet named for him. Other early names for this place were Cross & Fisher and Fisher�s Landing.

Fisher�s Landing �- see Fisher�s Glen

Five Bridges �- see Townsend Centre

Forestville -- hamlet in Charlotteville on Lots 6 and 7, Concession 1. South of Highway 24 on the West Quarter Line Road (Regional Road 46). Named by Farnham family for their former home in New York state. Name became official in 1851 when post office opened. Previously known as Kerne Settlement. [Also see our 1924 Historical Sketch of Forestville.]

Forse Road -- road in northwest Middleton Township. Runs from Highway 3 west to Bayham Township in Elgin County.

Fort Norfolk -- fort, built on bluffs in front of District Capital, Charlotteville, in 1813. Fell into ruin, nothing remains. A cairn and plaque to the fort is immediately south of Front Road at "Old Turkey Point Road" along lane leading to Turkey Point Golf Club.

Fredericksburg �- see Delhi

Frogmore -- hamlet in central Houghton Township at intersection of Regional Roads 28 and 45. Named for Frogmore near Windsor, England, burial place of Queen Victoria. The 14 Mar 2023 British Canadian newspaper reported the Frogmore post office had revenue of $46.74 and salaries of $10 in the year ending 30 Jun 1887.

Front Road (The) -- local name of road running along bluffs above Long Point Bay from Port Ryerse west to Port Rowan, Built in first decade of 1800s. Called Lakeshore Road west of Port Rowan.

Copyright 2000-2002 John Cardiff and Robert Mutrie